Engaged at Kandy Lake, Sri Lanka

January 13, 2009

We were in the cultural capital of Kandy, Sri Lanka. There was a moonlit night, a lovely lake, a naked electrical wire spouting green blue sparks and an annoyed Melissa because Tnee wouldn't show her what was in the zip part of his wallet. I was pretty hard core about knowing what was in there (this being the first thing EVER that Tnee wouldn't tell me) and I didn't say anything except "What's in the zip bit" over and over again for about 45 minutes. My resolve was so strong that this included the conversation Tnee struck up with a passing Aussie traveller who must have thought I was truly loony as I didn't speak one word to him and continued to whisper "What's in the zip bit" under my breath while Tnee and he talked! What was it? Drugs, a girl's phone number ... nothing?! We sat for ages by the lake, me fuming and Tnee being very calm. Strangely, I was glad to know that even in this highly annoyed state, I was still enormously happy to sit next to this man and be there together. We must have sat there for another hour or so as the clouds covered and uncovered the moon. And then, as Tnee opened the zip bit and unwrapped a little piece of paper and got down his knee I realised how wrong I'd got it. I hadn't even considered this possibility. There was my smiling boy, me in tears and a ring I had previously admired two weeks earlier while staying in Galle and was devastated to find the jeweler had sold just as I had made the decision to buy it. A small gold ring with a deep blue sapphire and two tiny diamonds. He asked, I said yes. I asked he said yes. We took a mobile phone picture of our shadows and there you go ... engaged!